22 February 2010

On Running...

"Every Morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle
- when the sun comes up, you better be running."

Roger Bannister
First man in history to run a mile in less than four minutes


I enjoy running, even though I am neither a lion or a gazelle! This year my aim is to run a half marathon. I am barely three weeks into my training programme and have already been derailed by a nasty cough which is currently stopping me running at all. But distance running is about perseverance and time. You can't gain enough fitness in just a couple of weeks to run 13 miles. It's about sticking to the training programme when really you'd rather not! And about getting back to it when you've taken a knock.

I'm not aiming for a fast half marathon. For me it will be a major achievement to complete the distance having run all the way. Some are lions, some are gazelles. And some are tortoises! But even a tortoise would need to train for a half marathon...

No comments:

Post a Comment