27 August 2010

Book Review: They Almost Always Come Home

When Libby's husband Greg doesn't return from a canoe trip to the Canadian wilderness, the authorities initially suspect that an unhappy husband has made his escape. Greg and Libby have been growing increasingly distant since the death of their daughter. An event for which Libby blames Greg.

His plans for his latest trip were not for fishing though, although he couldn't bring himself to tell his wife of his real plans. When he doesn't come home, Libby sets out to look for him, together with her best friend and her father-in-law. Along the way, she discovers all sorts of things about herself, her friends, her husband and her fragmented faith.

I sometimes find that I run out of steam (or interest) with Christian fiction stories, but this one kept me gripped all the way through. And as a photographer I really connected with Greg's dream! I did find the sudden shift to Greg's perspective such a long way in was a bit jarring, but at the same time it was good to 'hear' his viewpoint too.

Well-written and suspenseful (in a low-key sort of way), this is an involving story. I was reluctant to put it down. Recommended.

Price: £8.99
ISBN: 9781426702389
Published by: Abingdon Press (Distributed by Alban Books)
Available through any good bookshop or online

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Anne! Yes, I'm working on more books and am eager to get them into the hands of appreciative readers. Stay tuned. Glad you identified with Greg's dream. Did you know that all the photos on the video trailer for the book were my husband's photography? He would NEVER claim to be a photographer, but I think he captured some exquisite images.

    ReplyDelete